Monday, March 16, 2009

Where The Sidewalk Ends by:Shel Silverstein

"Where The Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein is a poet, and also writes books for kids, is a poet who uses imagery in his writing and has a fun imagination in his poems.This metaphor takes you on a journey to the path where you can have guidance on the path that your taking.Since the 70's he has written many poems for children.Kid's, of all ages find it fascinating when they hear his poems because they get a different out look on things.He keeps you thinking about his poems.In the poem it talkes about staying on the right path and trying to make the right choices.In life we have to learn to make good decisions and to follow what you believe in. When I fist read this poem, I thought about the paintings we went over in class and how the artist just created what they wanted and just went with what right with them and gave a message.It may not make since when you fist realize but that's what I thought when I read this poem. In Silverstien's poems he gives lessions on life and how to overcome things.
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

3 comments:

  1. Dear stef, I also own this book and loved reading it as a kid. It is so important for parents to sit down with their children each night or when ever they can and read to their kids. My mother used to read me poems form that book all the time. its how I began to read. Shell silverstein is a very talented and entertaining poet I still enjoy looking tthrough it sometimes I have the other books he has writtten as well. He does not even know it but he is part of my childhood, and i will always appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha.. I owned this book when I was younger. It was my favorite, and I remember reading it so much I ended up ripping the spine because I was too young to realize books aren't life long. Anyway, I absolutely loved the way this book, as well as others by Shel Silverstein, taught right from wrong in illuminating imagery created in his work. Children, as well as anyone else is almost encouraged to use his/her imagination while reading these poems too much, where the reader can't help but paint a mental portrait using the metaphors brought to life in Silverstein's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name rings a bell but i cant put my finger on it. Anyway, the overall message conveyed through her work subjects children into making "right" descions. We are all taught by adults, at an early age, of the positves and negatives life consists of. The best time to influence someone of going on the "right" path and trusting and believe in themselves is while the individual is still a child. Children follow absorb the ideas of their parents, teachers, music, art and literature. Shel Silverstein expresses a positve message and understanding of the aspects of life through her writing and poetry.

    ReplyDelete